Monday, February 11, 2013

Now and then

Over the weekend, Rob, the girls and I went 20 miles down the road and stayed in a hotel for the weekend so Rob could participate in the Pennsylvania Regional Dart Tournament.  I have attended this tournament every year since I was 18, when I first started going with my dad.

In fact, it is at this event that I first met Rob 20 years ago.  Damn, we are old.

When I was in my early twentys, this tournament was my favorite weekend of the year.  It was after Christmas, during a time when I generally have post-holiday depression.  It was a get-away with my friends, a time for laughs.  When I worked full time, my co-workers would laugh that I spent my vacation time in Butler, PA - the former location of this event.

If you haven't been to a major dart tournament, here is the lowdown.  First of all, we play plastic tip darts, so the events are played on electronic machines, not cork boards like you may have seen.  Regional dart events are held in hotel ball rooms, and the walls are lined with dart boards, usually 40 to 50 in one room.  There are events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday - usually about 6 total and are different games and team makeups (some singles events, doubles, etc)

Now, you fill that ballroom with drunk adults until, well...frankly, there is no ballroom.  Not all of the adults are drunk, but we "sobers" are a rare breed for sure.  Most people stay at the hotel so without the demands of being a designated driver, many people let their hair down.  And then they vomit, hopefully within the confines of their hotel room.

It's an adult frat party.  And a soap opera.

I've seen hook-ups, break-ups and make-ups.  I may have been a part in all three of those over the years, in all honesty.

Over the last 10 years or so, my weekend has changed significantly.  I went from "full-on party girl", to "full house".

What I used to pack.......

*   A gallon of Captain Morgan - yes, I said a Gallon.
*   A carton of cigarettes, and I'd smoke every one of them.  I smoked until my lips were chapped and I'd pull a cigarette away from my lips and skin would peel off.   I'm embarrassed to type that, but it's true.
*   Lingerie - we were in a hotel, you know!

What I pack now.....

*  Diapers
*  Blood pressure medicine for Rob and I
*  Formula
*  Portable DVD player for Bubble Guppies and Justin Bieber movies

What used to be a crisis......

*  Some butthole emptied the ice machine and our beer will not be able to get cold
*  They outlawed smoking indoors and we have to go outside...GO OUTSIDE????
*  Some old fart would call security on us for partying too late into the night

 New crisis.........

*  Walmart didn't start selling goggles yet and Abby will have to hold her nose to swim
*  I forgot to pack poptarts  (my crisis)
*  Should I call security on those loud people?

In some respects, I am madly jealous of the people who get to play darts, compete and hang with their friends.  And I plan my comeback, and think about how I will start practicing on Monday.

And then I look over and see this...


...and I say, maybe next year.

Congratulations on your wins, dart friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment