Sunday, February 3, 2013

My card's going to get revoked

I am a simple woman with simple tastes.  I look at new things and new foods like I look at a snowy road..."I can do this.  It can't be that bad."  I am married to a man who snarls at Chicken Kiev and is joyful about taco night.  Rob's idea of branching out with new foods was a risky dish of guacamole a few weeks ago.

Which makes my membership in the facebook group called "Pittsburgh Food Snob" both amusing and questionable.  My friend Kelly invited me to join the group, and I have really enjoyed being a member.  I get to live vicariously through my friends and their friends (including the dude who cooks on PBS - seriously!) and see where they are eating fabulous foods.  I really enjoy reading about the exciting culinary lives of my "Food Snob" brethren - and usually, I enjoy a pop tart while I read up on their baguettes, brulees and brandys.   (Oh my!)

Sometimes, the members brag about what they are cooking too.  And the trash-talking for the Super Bowl has been fierce with the "Food Snobs", the football players could learn from us.  I have been quiet regarding my menu planning...until now.

We began the afternoon with an appetizer of Buffalo Chicken Dip, a specialty of mine.  I use the finest of canned chicken, or whatever Rob grabs at the Community Market.


My side dish was bar-b-qued chicken (a second can, we spare no expense) spread on crescent rolls with cheddar cheese, then wrapped in a braid-like roll.


My main course was....wait for it....Hamburger Helper.  I attempted to fancy it up with crushed Doritos on top (for texture) and sliced green onions.


Dessert was Peach Pie Dump Cake...I know, lousy name, but delicious nonetheless.  1 can of Peach Pie filling with a half a box of yellow cake mix "dumped" on top, drizzle 1/2 stick of butter on top and bake.

So, as you can see - it was a delicious spread of beige foods (the green onions was my Bobby Flay moment - hit them with a bit of color).

I'd love to discuss recipes with you further, but someone is knocking at my door.  I can only assume that it is Chris from PBS to forcibly take away my "Food Snob" membership card.  And likely to smack me with a spatula for crimes against culinary nature.

Mangia, everyone - hope you enjoyed your Super Bowl foods!

Sarah





No comments:

Post a Comment