Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hail the Chief

Driving in the car this afternoon, Abby started to tell me about a story they are reading in 7th grade about a young girl named Ruby who was black but wanted to attend an all white school.

Abby said to me "Can you believe that months ago, people with skin like you and me didn't like people with black skin?  I think it's people with black skin, they called them 'Blacks'."

Once again, my daughter and her magnificent autistic brain is stymied by the abstract concept of time.

I said "What is really sad, buddy, is that some people still feel that way.  Some white people don't like people with darker skin and some people with dark skin don't like white people."

"What???  You mean they don't like adults with different colored skin, right?"

"Well no, Abs...they don't like ANYONE with different skin."

"What about kids like me?  What about babies?  What about old people?"

"I know, honey.  It's very sad."

I \then asked her if she had ever heard the "N word" and I spelled it out for her and said it softly.

"Nope.  Never heard that word.  What's it mean?"

"Well, it's a long story, but it is a horrible word, worse than a swear word.  It's an awful thing to say."

"Well I never heard it."

"That's because when your dad, granny and I hear people say that word, we don't allow you to be around them anymore so you never hear that word."

"Mom, you should be President."


"Why's that buddy?"

"So when people start fighting about the color of their skin, you can tell them to knock it off."


Sarah 2024

OH - and Rob found his ring!!!!!!!  Yeah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment