Tuesday, January 7, 2014

70% is bad, bad, bad

The numbers.

I'm not talking about the Lost numbers (although the G4 Channel is gone, and so is my Lost reruns fix which depresses the crap out of me, but I digress)

Numbers are Abby's thing.  She's excellent at Math...always has been.  But her structured way of thinking has moved over to numbers and is causing us grief.

We have always had issues with time.  Don't wake Abby up at 6:59, she'll yell at you about waking her up "way too early".  Wake her up at 7:00.  She helped me the other day by telling me not to trust Grandma's clock.  It was a minute off.  Abby looked at me like, "Told ya."

The other night, waiting at the mall for Amber to meet Abby for a movie, she said "What time is it?"  I said, "4:43"  She said "Awesome, Amber will be here in 2 minutes because she is supposed to meet us at 4:45."  When Amber was late, Abby was sure my phone had the incorrect time on it.

Our newest issue is with the Kindle Fire, Abby's Christmas gift from her dad, myself and Grandma.  The other night as I tucked Abby in, I noticed that her Kindle was on the charger.
"What percentage is your battery at?", I asked.
"70%"
"Un-plug it while you sleep please.  It isn't good to keep it plugged in overnight.  If you over-charge the battery, it will start to go bad."
"OK, Mom."

Well, long story short, I discovered that she plugged it back in after I left the room.

It's the numbers. 

70 is bad...100 is much better.  She relates the battery number with the school grading system.  70 is bad (average, but "bad" to Abby) and 100 is much better.  100 is essential.  100 is ideal.  She can't concentrate or sleep unless it's at 100% or charging away to get there. 

We discussed this with her therapist today and Abby said she was "distracted" by the 70% battery and needed to "fix it" to relax.

These are the things that keep Abby up at night, and the repercussions then keep ME awake at night.

I am 100% positive that we will get through this and 70% positive that the Kindle battery will fail early.  Pick your battles, Sarah.

4 comments:

  1. Abby is right. Modern devices have a protection system in place that prevents overcharging of the battery, even when left plugged in. At least most do anyway. (PS- I do the same thing, meaning plugging it in before bed. I do not however leave WIFI devices in the bedroom. These emit radiation that can disrupt sleep.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiO7ofDGoD8 good youtube about the issue...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not exactly--while you may not literally be able to overcharge a battery, constantly charging it will shorten the battery life and probably the life of the device. Lithium-ion batteries don't have the problems that nickel-cadmium had, but leaving it charging all the time makes it hotter, and electronics don't do well at constant high temperatures.

    Is there any chance she could see it as like a drink, rather than like a grade? If you always refilled your Coke before it was empty, eventually your Coke would taste weird and be watered down and flat, whereas if you completely empty it (drain it to 0% or close to) before you add more, each new drink will be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good analogy - she may go for it. Although if there was rum in the glass, and she was 21 - that would be the perfect analogy.

      Delete